Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to let loved ones know how much you care. You can show your pet some love too by making him/her a special Valentine’s Day surprise.
We have some great ideas you can try at home:
Valentine’s Day Bandana
Choose a Valentine’s Day fabric—either in a solid red, pink, or something with a print. Hearts work well. We liked this one with red roses.
Cut the fabric into a square and then fold in half diagonally to make a triangle.
Sew along the edges ½ in. Then fray ends.
If you are not a sewer, just cut a triangle sized to fit around your pet’s neck.
Paw Print Art
Using non-toxic washable paint, you can make paw print art with your pet.
Use a sponge to cover a front paw with non-toxic paint. Then, guide your pet to place his/her paw on the paper, holding long enough to make an impression. Repeat to create desired pattern.
Suggestions for use:
- Wrapping paper
- Holiday gift bags
- Gift tags
- Valentine’s Day cards
Heart-Shaped Cat Toy
Cats of any age love catnip toys.
- Using red, pink, or purple felt, or a Valentine’s Day-themed printed fabric, cut out 2 heart-shapes.
- Machine stitch around the perimeter of the heart, ¾ of the way from edge, leaving an open space of 1 – ½ inches
- Fill with catnip
- Stitch the remaining open area to hold stuffing firmly in place
Note: do not use fabric glue, as it is toxic to cats, and will be accidentally ingested when your cat chews the new toy.
NEVER add buttons or other decorations that pose a choking hazard to your pet.
Valentine’s Day Braided Dog Toy
Make your canine a braided dog toy using your old tees, sweatshirts, fleece pants, etcetera. Your pet will enjoy having something you once wore.
- Using red, white, pink, purple or printed clothing, cut long strips of fabric
- Select 2 – 3 coordinating colours and gather in bundles of three
- Tie 3 strips together with a knot at the top
- Braid the fabric pieces
- Tie a knot at the bottom
Happy Valentine’s Day
From Everyone at Vets Toronto
We recommend your also read:
Any mention of products or services on our blog is strictly for informational purposes only, and does not constitute an endorsement.
Copyright 2018. All rights reserved. Any reproduction, in whole or in part, without express written consent, is strictly prohibited.